This Chickpea Summer Salad is just right when you’re craving a light side dish or meal. I served it with grilled chicken to add some extra protein. With tons of veggies and just a few carbs, this is a great option for a keto diet or anyone watching their carbs. If you’re doing the Whole 30 diet or limiting dairy, omit the feta cheese.
Prepare the Ingredients
- Before you begin cutting the veggies, make sure to cook the quinoa. It is fine to add it to the salad warm, but if it’s too hot, it will melt the feta cheese. I usually cook 2 cups at a time and place the extra in the freezer for later.
- Dice the avocados into small bites, and add them to a large mixing bowl. Squeeze 1/2 a lemon over the avocado to prevent it from turning brown.
- Canned chickpeas do not have to be cooked, but they taste much better when rinsed thoroughly with warm water. This is a necessary step! Add those to the bowl as well.
- Next, chop up your veggies. The cucumber is best when cut into small bites. I cut it lengthwise into quarters, and then slice it.
- Dice the red (or yellow) bell pepper into small bites, and cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. Add both to the bowl.
- Once the quinoa has cooled some, add it as well. If using the feta cheese, add it to the bowl.
- Finally, add the chopped Italian parsley. Cilantro will also work.
My “Secret” Ingredient
Now, it’s time to mix up the dressing for this salad. I used olive oil and white wine vinegar, but red wine vinegar will also work. Add the salt, pepper, onion powder, and my “secret” ingredient, Cavender’s Greek Seasoning. Mix those together before tossing with the salad. Garnish with a little extra feta cheese on top.
This would be great as a prep-ahead lunch or to add to a meal. Chickpea Summer Salad has 309 calories per serving (assuming 6 servings). The macros are 21 grams of fat, 23 grams of carbs, and 9 grams of protein.
Below is a printable PDF version of this recipe:
Let me know if you try making this! I’d love to know how it turns out.
Never miss a post! Subscribe below for new blog posts to be delivered straight to your email. You can also find me on Instagram and Facebook.
Leave a Reply